In late 2017, Special Olympics Great Britain picked Active Nation to introduce a new programme in the Solent area – expanding their activity in the Southern region.
Special Olympics Solent's mission is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic sporting disciplines, for all children and adults with intellectual (learning) disabilities, giving them opportunities to develop their physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in sharing skills, gifts and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.
We've got over 50 athletes accessing training sessions each week.
A variety of sports are available each week including boccia, athletics and tennis.
There's many ways you can join our Special Olympics Solent movement:
- Become an athlete and train with us - check out the timetable of our training sessions below
- Become a volunteer and help us with training, transportation or administration
- Fundraise for us - allowing us to send over 50 athletes to competitions each year
- ...Plus many others!
Whatever capacity you want to get involved, complete the 'Contact Us' box and a member of the team will be more than happy to have a chat.
our training sessions
So, what is the network able to offer participants and athletes?
- Quality sports coaching 48 weeks per year to encourage fitness, commitment and discipline through sport.
- Recognition and development and an opportunity to participate, train and compete in a wide variety of sports and events.
- Help in developing social skills and friendships, built through the interaction and team spirit of their sports training and competition.
- Experience of new cultures when travelling abroad.
- The opportunity to compete and participate for the fun of it too, rather than focus on winning.
- Inclusion of people with an intellectual (learning) disability in mainstream sports.