Woodmill regularly delivers first class British Canoeing (BC) coaching courses. These courses equip you with the skills needed to become an instructor and are available at the following levels
The Paddlesport Instructor qualification involves a minimum of two days and includes at least 15 hours’ teaching/learning contact time. Courses can be run over a longer duration to include additional time to focus on personal skills, rescue skills, or the development of instructing skills.
The combined training and assessment practical course, is based on the knowledge, understanding and skills that the instructor needs to ensure the participants in their care are appropriately provided for. This includes:
Practical skills (training focus):
1. the ability to effectively prepare a group for an activity (e.g. kitting up and getting afloat);
2. a repertoire of activities to engage the group (e.g. games, tasks and journeys);
3. a range of motivating activities and games that support learning;
4. a range of strategies for utilising mini journeys to inspire adventure and exploration;
5. how to help participants learn some basic skills;
6. top tips and quick fixes for common challenges to accelerate learning when required;
7. selection of suitable equipment for participants;
8. how to maintain participants’ safety;
9. understanding of deployment matters.
Engagement and relationship building skills (training focus):
1. the ability to quickly build relationships with group members; caring, friendly, approachable;
2. the ability to motivate and inspire the group;
3. effective decision making to deliver (and adapt) sessions that are both safe and enjoyable;
4. communication skills.
Professional standards (formative assessment):
1. professional behaviour;
2. working as part of a team;
3. clear and effective communication;
4. minimising negative impact on the environment and other users;
5. an active engagement in personal learning and development.
Personal paddling and rescue skills (assessed):
– Please see the checklist in Appendix 1 of the Course Guide; this is based on the assessment requirements.
Instructor Courses are for any keen paddling wanting to progress into a career as a Paddling Instructor. Whether you are a paddler fancying a career change or an Outdoor Instructor wanting to progress.
Woodmill regularly delivers:
- British Canoeing Paddlesport Instructor Award
- British Canoeing Paddlesport Core Coach Training & Sheltered Water Coach Training
- British Canoeing Paddlesport Coach Assessment
In addition to running regular courses we can provide courses for your club or group. All equipment is provided but you are welcome to bring your own if you have it.