Apex Climbing Centre
The new Apex centre based at Green Bank Leisure Centre, in South Derbyshire, is a 16 station indoor climbing centre with a variety of different designs and difficulties for the ultimate challenge.
An Apex adventure is the ideal activity for children’s parties, a corporate team building activity, stag and hen do’s, school trips or even as part of your normal exercise workout each week.
The great thing is that no experience is needed at all, we’ll get you strapped into the harness and it’s go go go for 60 minutes of fun as you race to the top and complete the challenges.
Opening Hours & Prices
Wednesday 4.30-6pm and 5.30-7pm
Friday 5.30-7pm and 6.30-8pm
Saturday and Sunday
During the half term holiday - Monday 28th October-Sunday 3rd November
Our times are:
Apex is the newest addition to Active Nation's range of activities, where regardless of age or experience anyone can become a climbing hero. We have a range of different climbing packages to suit every occasion including:
CLIMBING: An individual 1.5 hour climbing session, including full safety briefing and harness fitting. You can book as many spaces as you need for you and your friends. Please note you will be sharing the wall with other climbers.
GROUP EXCLUSIVE: A 1.5 hour climbing session for up to 16 people, including full safety briefing and harness fitting. This booking will allow you exclusive use of the walls.
PARTY EXCLUSIVE: A 1.5 hour climbing session for up to 16 people, including full safety briefing and harness fitting. This booking will allow you exclusive use of the walls, including 45 minute use of the party room after your climb to sing happy birthday and blow the candles out (food options are available).
PARTY: A 1.5 hour climbing session for up to 16 people, including full safety briefing and harness fitting. This booking will includes 45 minute use of the party room after your climb to sing happy birthday and blow the candles out (food options are available). Please note you will be sharing the wall with other climbers.
All attendees aged between 5 years and 17 years must hand a completed parental consent form to the Apex climbing instructor prior to their session.
Frequently Asked Questions
Climbing is brilliant fun! So you’ve probably read through the information so far and thought that you’d love to give it a go. But before you strap yourself in and race to the top, there might be some more information that you’d like to know. Please use this section to answer all of those mysteries!
WHAT CAN I EXPECT? Please arrive at Green Bank Leisure Centre reception 5 minutes before your booking. One of our instructors will meet you. Your instructor will introduce themselves and collect your group together and walk you to the Apex climbing area. Your instructor will run through a full safety briefing , ask you to sign our safety and risk declaration form before going into the Apex climbing area to get kitted up with your harness. Once harnessed, the instructor will ask you to complete an initial small climb on one of the walls and descent from a low height on the wall to get used to our descender devices (auto belay). Then you are ready to challenge yourself to scale many walls throughout your session.
IS THERE A MINIMUM AGE? Yes, the minimum age to take part in Apex climbing is 5 years old. All participants under 18 years of age will need a completed parental consent form. This should be completed prior to arrival and should be handed to the instructor during the safety briefing.
CAN ANYONE CLIMB? Yes, climbing is a great activity to challenge yourself and push yourself outside your comfort zone. Please note that climbing is physically and mentally demanding and carry’s inherent hazards and risks. Climbing is not suitable for persons with; heart conditions, severe back pain, severe anxiety, severe obesity, vertigo, epilepsy, pregnancy or persons with injuries/ailments/conditions, whether physical or mental, that could be adversely effected by participation.
IS THERE A WEIGHT LIMIT? Yes, our descender devices are limited to 150 kilograms (22 stone).
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR? We recommend that you wear a long sleeved top, long trouser (tracksuit bottoms), clean closed toed trainers which can be tied tight. Note, loose clothing and jewellery should be worn as this can get snagged on the climbing wall holds when you climb. All finger rings will need to be removed prior to climbing.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING? All equipment is provided (only our equipment may be used when climbing). Please do not bring valuables, we will have an area for you to hang your coats/jumpers within the climbing arena.
WHAT TIME SHOULD I ARRIVE & HOW LONG IS THE ACTIVITY? Please arrive 5 minutes before your activity is due to start to ensure that you’re on time. Each session is 1.5 hours in length, during this time you will receive your safety briefing, be kitted up with your safety harness.
I HAVE A DISABILITY, CAN I TAKE PART? Yes, wherever possible we offer equal access to all people. Please contact the centre to discuss your individual disabilities and requirements.
HOW MANY OF THE WALLS CAN I CLIMB? This will depend on how long you would like to stay and try and conquer each wall. When you’ve finished on the wall just let our instructor know and they will help you unclip and clip onto the next wall. The instructor will tailor sessions so each group will get the very best experience possible.
HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL BE IN APEX & WILL I BE WITH STRANGERS? 16 people can climb in Apex at any one time (16 walls). Unless you exclusively book Apex, you’ll be teamed up with other individuals for the duration of your session.
IS APEX A SUITABLE ACTIVITY FOR A STAG OR HEN PARTY? Yes, climbing is the perfect way to celebrate yours or your friends upcoming stag do or hen party with loads of fun to be had. Although we understand you’ll want to raise a glass to the stag or hen, please ensure no alcohol is consumed before you take part in your activity.
IS THERE A CAFE? Yes, there is a café at our main reception to allow you to get a drink or a snack prior to or after your climbing experience.
Terms & Conditions of Use
The Apex Climbing Terms and Conditions are incorporated to Active nations Standard Terms and Conditions of Sale which apply to all purchases. If you are unsure as to whether you are able to take part in the Apex Climbing Activity, please contact us before booking.
- Climbing is physically and mentally demanding and carry’s inherent hazards and risks.
- By taking part in the Apex Climbing experience you have accepted and agree to comply with these Apex Terms and Conditions. In making a booking for a group, you are responsible for ensuring all group members comply with these Terms and Conditions.
- The use of the Apex Climbing walls will be dependant on the proper fitment of the safety equipment as determined by the Apex Instructors. Harnesses must be used by all climbers. Harnesses fit a waist size up to 50 inches. Please note that our safety equipment does not support a persons weight in excess of 150 kilograms (22.5 Stone). Our staff can assist any supporters who may have any questions regarding sizing and fitment of safety equipment. Please telephone to discuss any questions you have prior to booking.
- Climbing is not suitable for persons with; Heart conditions, Severe Back Pain, Severe Anxiety, Severe Obesity, Vertigo, Epilepsy, Pregnancy or persons with injuries/ailments/conditions, whether physical or mental, that could be adversely effected by participation.
- Rings must be removed before climbing. Other loose jewellery that may snag on the wall should also be removed. Please do not bring valuables to Apex.
- All sessions will be shared with other supporters, unless the session has been exclusively booked.
- If you decide to stop participating throughout the session, you will not be entitled to a refund.
CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE
- Children age 5 year and above are able to use Apex Climbing Walls.
- A Parental/Guardian Consent form signed by a parent or guardian must be submitted for all participants under 18 years old before the activity can take place (this form is available from our web site, confirmation email or alternatively please ask for a copy). If this form is not submitted the booking will be cancelled and the cancellation conditions in clause 3 of these Terms and Conditions will apply.
- If you would like to cancel a booking, you just need to let us know by contacting us by email at email@example.com or by telephone on 01283 216296.
- Where we receive a cancellation request the following refund policy will apply: (a) For requests received more than 7 day before the booking will receive a 75% refund will be given. (b) For requests 7 days or fewer days before the activity date no refund will be given.
- If for any reason, you would like to reschedule your booking we will do the best to assist you.
- Subject to availability and at the sole discretion of Apex/Active Nation, you may reschedule the date, time of your climbing booking up to 14 days before your original booking.
EQUIPMENT, INSTRUCTION AND SUPERVISION
- Only safety equipment (harnesses, helmets, rope belays and carabiners) provided by Apex may be used on our walls.
- The training and instruction you receive at Apex is specific to our climbing environment. We do not guarantee that skills learnt at Apex will be transferable to any other activity.
- Safety briefings will be given in English. In order to safely participate you must be able to understand the briefing in full. If you do not understand any aspect of the safety briefing given to you, please ask for clarification at the time of the briefing, before you participate in the climbing activity.
RESPECTING OUR STAFF AND OTHER SUPPORTERS
- In booking and participating in Apex climbing you agree to agree to follow the instructions given by our staff. If you do not act in accordance to Apex terms and Conditions you may be asked to leave the centre without any entitlement of a refund.
- Dangerous or threatening behaviour is not tolerated.
- If you are part of a group which causes any disturbance, the group will be treated as one and our staff have the right to remove the whole group from the centre and no refunds will be given.
- Apex/Active Nation shall not be liable for any damage or loss of any property or items belonging to you, any member of your group or any third parties; or personal injury or death of any person but only as far as such injury or death is not caused by Apex/Active Nation’s negligence.
Fancy giving it a go? Come and join the fun, give us a call on 01283 216269 for more information or click on the link below to book your session online!